Symbiotics, incorporated in 2004 in Geneva, is an investment company specialized in emerging, sustainable and inclusive finance which offers market research, investment advisory and asset management services. It is an asset manager of collective investment schemes regulated by FINMA, the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority and has an advisory license from the FCA, the Financial Conduct Authority, through its subsidiary in the UK. The company is headquartered in Geneva, with offices in Cape Town, London, Zurich, Mexico City Singapore with a staff of over eighty professionals. Since 2004, Symbiotics has invested over USD 3,818 billion in more than 360 microfinance institutions in 64 emerging countries, working with 43 investment funds and many institutional investors.
Legal Counsel – Geneva14.06.2017 - Corporate Services
Business Unit: Corporate Services – Legal
Title: Legal Counsel
Job reference: LEC-GVA
We are looking for
A Legal Counsel who will support to the Head of Legal on all corporate, operations and asset management legal matters.
The position is based in our Head office in Geneva, with reporting line to the Head of Legal. We offer a dynamic work environment in a growing industry and an opportunity to work in the social investment space with a for-profit company.
Due to ongoing growth of the company, we are seeking a Legal Counsel to assist and reinforce the knowledge of the Legal Unit with providing coverage across new markets. Coverage of new partnerships and transactions is expected, meaning the candidate will be expected to hold a minimum working legal and contractual knowledge in a number of markets, preferably from a common law jurisdiction.
- Drafting and/finalization of legal documentation and correspondence related to the legal side of the Company’s activities
- Providing support in all corporate matters on a global scale
- Provision of legal advice on market analysis, including new potential countries and ongoing aspects of existing activities
- Legal support for workout management
- Engage in occasional communication with in-house clients to proactively address legal issues as they arise
- Contribute to general improvements of internal procedures and methodologies (i.e. drafting of template, training to in-house clients)
- Legal watch
- Complete ad hoc administrative tasks
We are looking for a dynamic person who is sales oriented, autonomous, and able to work in a dynamic and challenging environment. More specifically, we have the following requirements:
- Degree/Masters in Law from a common law jurisdiction, preferably from the US
- At least 2-3 years’ legal experience within a law firm, asset manager, development finance institution or international organization
- Previous experience within the international impact investment sector is required. In particular, knowledge of emerging markets legal framework and drafting and processing of a range of legal documents related to international transactions
- Previous experience in international corporate and governance matters
- Practical knowledge of the US market and regulation is a plus
- English mother tongue required; Good working knowledge of Spanish and French is an asset
- A team player yet autonomous; works well with people across cultures and geographies
- Valid Swiss work permit
Please send us an email with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying as email subject: LEC-GVA.