Symbiotics has helped setup over 25 impact investing funds and has originated over USD 4,885 million of impact investments since 2005. The company has issued more than 3,683 transactions for 425 institutions in 83 countries.
You are a financial institution, a company or a project following sustainability principles and pursuing development impact goals. You are looking for financing through debt or equity to finance your growth and activities
You are a fund manager, institutional investor or wealth advisor seeking deals which follow sustainability principles and pursue development impact goals. You are looking for investment opportunities, whether as loans, bonds or equity transactions.
Current investments Since inception
|Latin America & the Caribbean||Africa & the Middle East||Eastern Europe & Central Asia||South & East Asia||Total|
|Deals (USD m)||1696||723||1299||1184||4902|
“Symbiotics is a proud partner of over 300 financial institutions and multiple social ventures
across the globe. We strive to bring a wider network of institutional investors with a range
of terms and expectations to fit each financed project’s needs, throughout their growth cycle.”
– Vincent Lehner, Head of Financial Institutions –
How it works
We offer the following financing instruments at market rate in maturities ranging from 1 to 8 years:
- Term loans
- Promissory notes
- Bond issuances
- Market rates
- Financial institutions/intermediaries
- Majority of activity in micro/SME finance or dedicated program
- Minimum track record of 3 years
- Commercially sustainable financials and business plan
- Externally audited accounts
- Completion of annual due diligence process
- Monthly/quarterly reporting requirements
Due Diligence Process
Prior to disbursement, each financial institution will go through a full due diligence process performed by our investment analysts. They will collect financial, legal and operational information and interview multiple stakeholders (shareholders, board, management, staff, clients and others) on-site. The due diligence process is repeated every year and includes monthly/quarterly reporting information.
- All applicants are required to provide the following information:
- Institutional presentation
- Founding documents (corporate bylaws and statutes)
- Registration document and license (if existing)
- 4-year audited accounts, including signed letter from auditor and notes
- 3-year business plan with financial projections
- Detailed list of outstanding debt
- Shareholding structure
- List of board of directors
- List of management team with CVs and organizational chart
- External ratings (if existing)
- Monthly and annual reporting on-line on syminvest.com
“Symbiotics stands out in the impact investing space as being the leading investment
adviser, customizing deals and mandates for institutional investors and wealth managers
wanting to access a wide range of markets and opportunities.”
– Fabio Sofia, Head of Client Relationship –
Unique Value Proposition
Our investment advisory unit’s unique selling proposition is to make microfinance investments as user friendly as possible for traditional asset managers and institutional investors. The investment value chain in accessing small banks in frontier markets often lacks the traditional infrastructure available in mainstream investments: information platforms, data providers, specialized news agencies, rating agencies, due diligence firms, structuring agents, broker dealers. Symbiotics’ advisory services are split in four distinct teams, between Financial Institutions analysts, providing due diligence reports, Market & Credit Risk analysts, providing credit and social ratings, Investment Operations advisers, building deal-flow and structuring transactions, and Client Relationship advisers assisting clients with their investment strategy and portfolio construction.
Each transaction follows the same standardized investment process, providing equal quality and treatment. Transactions are available on-line through our deal flow platform (my.Syminvest.com) either on a first come first serve basis, reflecting the state of funding needs of the market, or proactively on a top-down customized approach based on specific client demands. Clients can access the platform on an ad hoc / deal by deal basis, or through on-going / recurring mandates.
Our private debt instruments include investments through:
- Certificates of deposits
- Short term loans and promissory notes
- Term loan agreements (3-5 years)
- Guarantee agreements
- Subordinated debt
We have structured over 3,683 private debt transactions, cumulating more than USD 2.6 billion.
Our listed bonds are issued in Luxembourg through MSME Bonds S.A., a regulated securitization company.
Their key features include:
- UCITS compliant status (excl. liquidity)
- electronic settlement and trading
- full due diligence, internal credit review and monitoring
- market makers and brokers available
- third party daily valuation if needed
- Bloomberg page available
Fund manager, promoters and institutional investors which prefer relying on a buy-side advisory team assisting them with their investment strategy and portfolio construction can structure their deal flow and relationship with Symbiotics through an Investment Advisory Mandate, customized to their specific needs and aspirations.
The website is not directed to, or use by, any person or entity who is a citizen or resident of, or located in any locality, state, country or other jurisdiction where such publication, availability or use would be contrary to local laws or regulations or which would require the registration of Symbiotics SA within any jurisdiction.